Bilingual kids

For all parenting topics or issues related to breastfeeding, babywearing, gentle and respectful support, babysleep, childcare, etc.
a.1973
Herzlich Willkommen

Re: Bilingual kids

Beitrag von a.1973 »

whoopsy2006 hat geschrieben:and an editing option to clear out mistakes in this forum would be nice too.... :oops:

:D
I'm sorry you are living separed, anyway, you can teach the baby english, with your good intention. Do you speak english closely as a native speaker?
(as i speak italien as a native, but at home i only watching italien television, but don't speak directly italian to DS. suppose, in this way, he can catch the feeling of the existence of other languages, without missunderstanding, why mama speak so different of any other people :roll: )
Anita, mama of DS (october 2007)
Falcon
gehört zum Inventar

Beitrag von Falcon »

a.1973 hat geschrieben:
Falcon hat geschrieben:Aidan's now nearly 21 months old. I speak in German to him and my husband in English. We both read books to him in whichever language he brings them to us.
He has quite a few words in both languages now, some of them rather random. :mrgreen:
He seems to pick one language per word (although there are a few he says in both German and English), but he does understand the same word in the other language as well. He has discovered a new game - contradicting me, e.g. everytime I said "Vogel" today, he grinned, shook his head and said, "bird!"

How do you speak to your kids, and how are they developing with two different languages?

Isn't it too difficult for the baby? i was uncertain to speak in any other language to my child, because didn't want to confuse him... :)

It doesn't seem to be too difficult for him. In the last couple of weeks he has started having both an English and a German word for most things, and he's also beginning to answer in the same language as he is spoken to. He can now count up to 17 in both languages - we have 17 stairs in the house. :jippi:
:wink: Kerstin mit Aidan (24/7/07)
a.1973
Herzlich Willkommen

Beitrag von a.1973 »

now my baby has 19 months and he is only speeking a few words. my husband is sometime angry about, he thinks the baby has to speek now.... i'm a bit upset, he is always repeating this point. i suppose, our baby has no problems, so he will speak fluently, when he will be ready for it. if i speak to him, he understand everything, e.g. where is your drink, he is going there, showing it clearly, and bringing it to me :)
anybody has an experience to share?
Falcon
gehört zum Inventar

Beitrag von Falcon »

a.1973 hat geschrieben:now my baby has 19 months and he is only speeking a few words. my husband is sometime angry about, he thinks the baby has to speek now.... i'm a bit upset, he is always repeating this point. i suppose, our baby has no problems, so he will speak fluently, when he will be ready for it. if i speak to him, he understand everything, e.g. where is your drink, he is going there, showing it clearly, and bringing it to me :)
anybody has an experience to share?

I've read that bilingual children generally start speaking later as they have a far larger amount of language to process first. At 19 months I would not worry about it AT ALL! My friend's daughter (who is not brought up bilingually as both parents are Scottish) only started speaking her first few words at 22 months (she also only started walking then). She's three years old now and there is no difference in her speech to other children, or rather, she speaks a lot better than a couple of 4 year olds that I know. They really all work at their own pace. :D
:wink: Kerstin mit Aidan (24/7/07)
a.1973
Herzlich Willkommen

Beitrag von a.1973 »

Thank you Falcon, sharing this. :)
anjali
ist nicht mehr wegzudenken

Beitrag von anjali »

This is a great little thread! We are raising our children bilingually, I speak American with them, so do my mom and dad, and DH and the rest of their world :D German. My son ist 29 months old, understands both languages perfectly, and knows which language to speak in different situations. It's so much fun to watch him just pick up both languages so fast. I grew up with German and English, so the mixture feels totally natural to me :) And it's always funny when the little German kids at the playground look at me quizzically and ask "warum sprichst du denn so komisch mit ihm???" :mrgreen: I wish there were some more bilingual moms in my area to meet up with.
Bilingual German-American family wrapping away!
L. 6.2.2008
C. 5.5.2010
E. 22.6.2013
In liebevollem Gedenken an K. (8.11.1963-19.5.2001) und little K. (*19.5.2009, 14. SSW)
coccolone
Power-SuTler

Beitrag von coccolone »

anjali hat geschrieben: And it's always funny when the little German kids at the playground look at me quizzically and ask "warum sprichst du denn so komisch mit ihm???" :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

anjali hat geschrieben: I wish there were some more bilingual moms in my area to meet up with.

Whereabouts do you live?
"You can't start a new chapter in your life, if you keep re-reading the last one."
Thistle
alter SuT-Hase

Beitrag von Thistle »

Well, the bilingual Kita thing unfortunately did not work out for us. Peanut is really happy where she is now, though, so who am I to complain? She's picking up new words incredibly fast now and mixes her English and her German a lot. Quite a few people appear very concerned on our little girl's behalf, it would seem. I am slowly but surely growing very tired of the endless stream of well-meaning, yet unsolicited advice we're given in regard to her language development. Gah!
Bean (05/08) & Sweet Pea (12/11)
gw26
ist gern hier dabei

Beitrag von gw26 »

We are trying to raise our Daughter Bilingual, we speak Dutch at home (we"re both Dutch, I speak German quit well, but my Husband doesn"t) and wenn I'out with my daughter or wenn she is at the "Tagesmutter" wird German gesprochen.
She is only 8 months, so I don't know how this is going to work out, but we will propably go back to Holland in a few years so I'll hope she will learn it properly.
gw26
ist gern hier dabei

Beitrag von gw26 »

hmm, I mixed up German and Englisch.... it's hard for me to speak/write English wenn I hear German around me all day...
Antworten

Zurück zu „Parenting Chat“