Bilingual kids

For all parenting topics or issues related to breastfeeding, babywearing, gentle and respectful support, babysleep, childcare, etc.
shina
ist nicht mehr wegzudenken

Re: Bilingual kids

Beitrag von shina »

Luca is getting now problems here at school with his scottish accent :lol: 8) . He´s the only one who´s like an english native and they have a discussion about "bätmän" or batman as the scottish would say. Poor boy....I love his tongue :(
LG Sandra mit 3 Kids
Niamh
Herzlich Willkommen

Beitrag von Niamh »

Scottish is so absolutely wonderful :D
Niamh mit 2 zauberhaften Mädchen 01/07 + 12/08. Tragemama und Stillberaterin in Ausbildung

Bild
Thistle
alter SuT-Hase

Beitrag von Thistle »

Niamh hat geschrieben:we went past some geese, and she kept saying: "Geese. *pause* Geese. *pause* Geese. *pause* Kanne." :mrgreen:

*looooooooooooooool* Oh no, that is hilarious! Soph continues to mix her languages. The only thing that frustrates me a bit at this point is that she mostly uses German when she replies to me. She doesn't completely refuse to use her English, though, it's just that the German is much more dominant - even with both of us speaking only English to her.
Bean (05/08) & Sweet Pea (12/11)
Falcon
gehört zum Inventar

Beitrag von Falcon »

shina hat geschrieben:Luca is getting now problems here at school with his scottish accent :lol: 8) . He´s the only one who´s like an english native and they have a discussion about "bätmän" or batman as the scottish would say. Poor boy....I love his tongue :(

Keep telling him it's right!!! West coast sounds great!!! :D

Hey, I hope you're settling back well enough!
:wink: Kerstin mit Aidan (24/7/07)
shina
ist nicht mehr wegzudenken

Beitrag von shina »

No, we didnt. I still hope that my Husband changes his mind about moving abroad.
We watched How to train your dragon yesterday with Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson and another Scottish. It was brilliant !!
LG Sandra mit 3 Kids
Mami22As
schreibt ganz schön oft

Beitrag von Mami22As »

I taught my kids "Bruder Jakob" and they are too cute singing it. Adam figured it out now but Allie is still singing "Bruder jacke, Bruder Jacke" :D
(ab)gestillt, familiengebettet, (ausge)stoffgewindelt, halbgeimpft...

mein Dicker - 1. Maerz 2007
Mammacita - 15. August 2008
fluffypuffin
schreibt ganz schön oft

Beitrag von fluffypuffin »

We're (hoping to become) a bilingual household. DH is English and I'm German & we live in the UK. Our daughter is 9 months old and I only speak to her in German, hubby only in English. Occasionally I get a bit mixed up, especially when I'm in company :lol: - I'm the only German-speaking person I know that lives in the area so with all the influences around Isla I hope she'll still end up speaking good German. I know my relatives would be very cross with me otherwise. They keep telling me ALL THE TIME that I should teach her German :roll: - as if I wasn't trying??
BildBild[/url] Bild
KleineMue
hat viel zu erzählen

Bilingual kids

Beitrag von KleineMue »

Hello!! Can I join?

I'm German, my partner is English and we live in the UK. I am talking German to Josefine most of the time but after living here for over 12 years the language is so ingrained that I lapse back into English a fair bit. I usually then repeat what I have said in German. It really helped me kickstart my German 'baby talk' when we visited my family when Josefine was 9 weeks old.

I have been reading a lot about the OPOL system of one parent one language but it sits slightly at odds with the baby-led, gentle approach to parenting we practice. I read English books, sing English songs as well when they come to my mind.

I'd say I interact with her in German for 85% of the time at least. She is 8 1/2 months old, and I think she can distinguish between me talking/singing in German or English. I am curious to see where this path is taking us and if I will need to become stricter in only talking German with her to make it work.

Love the sheepen and bätmän!! Rofl!

Mue x
MamaOwl, ehemals KleineMue, lebt inzwischen zusammen mit Mr Mue, aka Robotgnome, und Kind Jay in Mittelfranken. Fellnasen Flower Fuzzlebutt und Sparkle Twinkletoe sind auch dabei.
asujakin
Prof. Dr. SuT

Beitrag von asujakin »

Hi there

OPOL seems like a good system but I just wanted to let you know how I grew up. My mom never talked German when we were younger, my dad's German was horrible so all we heard was English. Sometimes, when my grandmother visited we heard a lot of German all of a sudden. My sister is 7 years older than me and went to an American school in Karlsruhe so she had lived in Germany for a while and picked up a little bit. I was born in Germany but we moved back to the states when I was like 3 months old. Every once in a while my mom would say something in German, read or sing in German but not enough for us to pick up a lot. I was about 5 when we moved back to Germany. All I could say was "Guten Tag" and "Wie geht's". Only 3-4 months later my German was fluent. Now my German is perfect and I would say my English is nearly perfect. There's no German accent when I talk but I am missing a lot of words (especially political stuff) but my sister's German is...not good *haha* After living here for about 20 years she still messes up "der die das" a lot an has some problems with German grammar. So there's a lot of "tun tut"... :mrgreen: But her English isn't really good neither...I guess she was just a little to old to REALLY pick up a new language.

I tried to raise my son bilingual but I just can't do it. We do sing some nursery rhymes, we have English books and he hears me talking to my family on the phone but it's just not enough. I wish I could talk English to him but it just doesn't feel right you know?! I wish he could talk to my family too, but I know he will learn English in first grade at school and I'm sure he will learn quickly.

We once went to an English speaking playgroup. There was this one woman who only talked English to her son because she had lived in England for a couple years. He did speak English quite well for his age but it didn't seem right somehow...you know what I mean? Because it was not her mother tongue and so it will always have a kind of emotional distance, you know?

We have this "deutsch-amerikanisches-institut" here and I was thinking about going there to meet other Americans just to catch up with the language, give N. the chance to hear it more and hopefully pick up some stuff. Or just make it easier for me to talk English to him.
Latascha
Power-SuTler

Beitrag von Latascha »

Hi,
may I join you?
Well, I always thought OPOL seems like a good system, but honestly, I just can't do it! (I'm the one who is supposed to be speaking English..)
Normally I speak German with the munchkin, just because I hear it all day long with other people. I try to remind myself to speak more English, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
My Mom speaks English with her, but even she uses a lot of German...
No idea where this will end. I can tell you more in one or two years :wink:
Liebe Grüße
Latascha
mit Munchkin (09/10) und Monkey (09/13)

ClauWi Trageberaterin
Antworten

Zurück zu „Parenting Chat“